Walk Jacobs, Archer and Nydia Tracks in Pelorus Sound
An Incredible Combination – Another Fantastic Marlborough Sounds Experience
- Walk the beautiful Jacobs Bay Track, an easy track that takes you around the peninsular from Jacobs Bay to Fairy Bay. Marvel at the emerald colours of the sea as it reflects the native bush right down to the waterline. This walk takes 1.5 hours.
- Walk the Archer Track There are two options here…walk Elaine Bay to Deep Bay which is 1.5 hours, approximately 4.5 kms and the crew can pick you up at this point or continue on to Penzance Bay which is another 1.5 hours and 4.5 kms to complete the full 9 km track.
The Archer track is an easy walking track between Elaine Bay in Tennyson Inlet and Penzance Bay. The track follows an old stock route that was used prior to Tennyson Inlet gaining road access in the 1960s. The track is named after the Archer family who has maintained a permanent presence in the area since the 1880s. Along most of its length, the track passes through dense native forest with a mix of beech and podocarp species.
- Nydia Track 27 km – Duncan Bay to Nydia Bay then Nydia Bay to Shag Point
- Duncan Bay to Nydia Bay (4 hr)
The first hour follows the shoreline with glimpses of the sea through the lush coastal forest – giant rimu, nīkau, beech trees and tree ferns.
At Ngawhakawhiti Bay the track climbs to Nydia Saddle (347 m) – here you can take in the great views of Tennyson Inlet. The track then continues down into Nydia Bay where the crew and vessel will be waiting for you.
For those of you that wish to walk a little bit more may like to carry on and walk around to have a look at Nydia Lodge. The lodge is run by D.O.C and can accommodate up to 50 people and has no mains power, it is a great place for school and group camps.
- Nydia Bay to Shag Point (5 hr)
This part of the track leads across open farmland beside the stream, crossing it twice. Then climbs up to the Kaiuma Saddle (387 m) through beech forest and regenerating scrub with superb views, and on a clear day you can even see Marlborough’s highest mountain, Tapuae-o-Uenuku (2885 m), in the distant Inland Kaikoura mountains. From the saddle, the track drops quickly to cross a stream. The track then climbs a little into the forest and sidles around to a point above Kaiuma Bay.
Jacobs, Archer and Nydia Tracks are approximately 41 kilometres in total.
**Affinity will meet you at the end of each walking section – No back tracking**
Hot showers to freshen and invigorate you at the end of your enjoyable days walk, your meals all prepared for you if you are ashore at lunchtime a packaged lunch will be sent with you.
You have the same cabin each night so there is no worrying about your luggage which means no heavy packs to carry as your luggage remains on-board.
We find safe anchorage every night in a calm and picturesque bay, so you can enjoy a peaceful night’s rest.
All walks are optional, you may wish to stay on board and relax, and there may be a shorter walk option that would suit you better – just ask! Please understand you are responsible for your own safety and actions during these unguided walks.