Cruising Stewart Island offers something for everyone!
Step back in time to a slower pace of life and unwind
There are walks to isolated beaches, amazing sea birds, lots of history to hear about, visit Ulva Island bird sanctuary with a local guide pointing out a wide range of fauna and flora as well as a wide range of birdlife. You will also get to meet some of the locals and find out what it’s really like living on the island………And the fishing is fantastic too!
Your Stewart Island Cruise experience starts from your overnight accommodation in Invercargill when a local coach operator will collect you and bring you to the ferry terminal at Bluff, where you board the ferry to cross Foveaux Strait and meet up with the Affinity and her crew in Half Moon Bay where it welcomes you with its tall Blue Gum Trees.
- An hour and a half guided bus tour of the Island, hear about Island life from the local guide.
- Explore the rock pools and walk the coastal track around Paterson Inlet.
- Scenic walk to Ackers Point, Half Moon Bay, visit an original old settlers’ cottage.
- Fish for Stewart Island “Blue Cod”, while surrounded by the large Mollymawk seabirds
- Visit an old whaler’s repair base which was used by Norwegian Antarctic Whalers
- Ulva Island Bird Sanctuary – hear the birdsong of Tuis, Bellbirds, Robins, Kakas, Keas and the rare South Island Saddleback. Enjoy a three-hour guided tour of Ulva Island with a local guide.
- Discover the natural beauty of Stewart Island for yourself
- Enjoy a beer or wine at New Zealand’s Southernmost Hotel
- Experience amazing sunsets and sunrises
Stewart Island a cruise that will leave you with a lifetime of memories.
All walks are optional, you may wish to stay on board and relax or there may be a shorter walk option that would suit you better. Please understand you are responsible for your own safety and actions during these unguided walks.