A must-do on everyone’s ‘Bucket List’
Discover and Explore Fiordlands five remote Southern Fiords, dramatic raw beauty that will take your breath away
Due to the early departure and late return times of our Fiordland Cruises we recommend you overnight for one night before and one night after your cruise in Te Anau.
- You get to adventure across serene Lake Manapouri, experience Wilmot Pass and take in the amazing views of Doubtful Sound
- Travel in the path of Captain James Cook and learn all about the rich and fascinating history of his early voyages to this remote part of New Zealand
- Visit historic sites such as: the first European house site, first recorded shipwreck in New Zealand and where the first vessel was built by Europeans in 1795
- Visit Astronomers Point where Captain Cooks Astronomer cleared the trees and recorded a transit of Venus at his first landing in Fiordland
- Walk through beautiful remote native rainforest that has never been cleared, it is still in its original state as it was before man stepped foot on the land
- Get up close to stunning roaring waterfalls as they cascade down steep, sheer cliffs
- Visit a cove where a number of fur seal pups swim around the rocks. When we put the tender in the water the pups are very nosey and like to swim alongside and pop up out of the water to see what’s going on
- Fish for grouper and other big species in the bountiful waterways of this pristine area
- Walk to the most South-Western Lighthouse in New Zealand at Puysegur Point. The lighthouse was the last manned lighthouse in New Zealand, only becoming automated in the last few years.
- Walk through mature rain forest on Anchor Island in Dusky Sound, which is now used as a safe haven for endangered birds such as Saddleback and the Kakapo
- Visit the Historic remains at Tarawera Silver mine smelter. Like many of the area’s landmarks this is only accessible by boat
- Visit Pigeon Island where New Zealand’s first conservationist Richard Henry lived for 13 years from 1894. Learn all about his efforts to change Resolution Island into a pest free haven for native birdlife
- We often have the extreme privilege of sighting whales in their natural habitat and playful bottlenose dolphins often join in for a race with the ship’s bow
- Experience picturesque sunrises and sunsets. View clear skies like you’ve never seen before, with an abundance of stars
- A scenic helicopter flight like none other, take in amazing views as you fly over breathtaking snow-capped mountains and spectacular terrain to/from Preservation Inlet. The perfect way to begin or end a once in a lifetime holiday in our own piece of paradise.
‘FIORDLAND… A Magical Place’
All walks are optional, you may wish to stay on board and relax, there may be a shorter walk option that would suit you better. Please understand you are responsible for your own safety and actions during these unguided walks.