Bring in the New Year on d’Urville Island!
Cruise Queen Charlotte, Kenepuru and Pelorus Sounds including d’Urville Island and French Pass.
Depart from Havelock, return to Picton
- Visit French Pass and d’Urville Island and indulge in a delicious dinner at The Wilderness Resort Café on New Years’ Eve and bring in the New Year.
- Hear the story of the Russian cruise liner ‘Mikhail Lermontov’ and see the area where she now lies at the bottom of the sea.
- Visit a salmon farm where the process of salmon farming will be explained.
- Cruise past a King Shag colony. The King Shag can only be found in this remote part of New Zealand.
- Cast your rod and try your luck at catching a Blue Cod and other species in the waters of this area. There’s nothing like eating fresh fish caught by your own hands.
- Visit Motuara Island – a bird Sanctuary Island where Robins, Tuis, Kiwis, Bellbirds and Kakariki live. Hear the birdsong and look out for the rare South Island Saddleback as you walk along.
- Go ashore at Ship Cove where English explorer Captain James Cook made his home in the early 1770’s. Here you will find information panels explaining early Maori occupation and a monument to honour Captain Cook.
- Walk sections of the award-winning Queen Charlotte Track, which features regenerated native bush with Giant Rimu, Nikau, Beech trees and tree ferns.
- Experience the beauty and tranquillity of the Marlborough Sounds as we leisurely cruise through the hidden bays and coves of the Sounds.
All walks are optional, you may wish to stay on board and relax, and there may be a shorter walk option that would suit you better. Please understand you are responsible for your own safety and actions during these unguided walks.